Many men and women find that wearing a wig helps to ease the stress of hair loss.Getting a good wig can boost your self-confidence. It needs to look good in order for you to feel good wearing it.You may be wearing it for up to a year.
Today's wigs come in all styles and assortments and can be next to impossible to detect.
if you are thinking about wearing a wig, consider making the purchase before your hair falls out. That way you can match the color and texture - and, if you so desire, your hair style.
On the other hand, if you want to try a new style or color, an easy way to test what you would look like is to use one of the websites that allow you to upload a photo of yourself and try different hairstyles. For instance, see:
- Taaz.com - free - for women only - 7 minutes to upload and align photo
- Dailymakeover.com free including men - 10 minutes to upload and align photo (click on "Makeover")
- Thehairstyler.com $14.95 for 3 months - includes men -apparently the most realistic -- 10 minutes "to shoot upoad and align phot"
Before purchasing a wig, it is advisable to learn:
- How To Choose A Wig
- Where To Purchase A Wig
- How To Fit A Wig
- How To Care For A Wig
- How To Get A Free Wig
- Miscellaneous Tips For Wearing A Wig
Your hairdresser or barber can style your wig, and cut it for your face. It is likely your wig will need thinning to make it look more natural. Many wigs have between 10 and 30 percent too much hair.
Health insurance frequently pays for wigs.
- Prior to purchasing your wig call your insurance company to see if it will be covered under your health insurance, and if so, under what circumstances. Many insurance companies consider a wig to be a prosthetic for hair loss, not unlike the loss of a limb that requires a prosthesis.
- If your insurance will cover the cost of your wig, ask your doctor to write a prescription for a "cranial prosthesis." Your receipt for the wig should also specify that it is a "cranial prosthesis."
Costs which are not covered by insurance may be tax deductible as medical expenses, especially if your doctor writes a prescription for it which describes the wig as a "prosthesis" or "a hair prosthesis required because of hair loss caused by cancer treatment." (For your income taxes, save a copy of your prescription and your receipt.
Free wigs are available throughout the country. For information, see: How To Get A Free Wig
NOTE: Consider having fun with a wig. For example:
- Shop with your buddies.
- Consider buying at least one cheap, fun, wig.
- Consider buying a wig for every day of the week and every mood.