While You Are Still Working, Preparing To File For An Income Due To Your Health
Disability generally does not happen overnight. If it is possible that your health condition may deteriorate to the point you will want or need to stop working, there are some preparations that will make obtaining private and/or government disability income benefits easier if and when you do stop working.
While you are still working is the time to get your ducks in order in case you do want to file a disability claim. To do that:
- Work with your doctor(s).
- Check your medical record.
- Keep a diary of your symptoms.
- Learn how "disability" is defined in each of the private and governmental. benefits for which you are eligible.
- Assess your chances for a successful claim.
- Balance your health condition with your ability to work.
For additional tips while you are still working, see: Work: Leaving Work Because Of Disability.
When you're ready for the paperwork, there are guides to follow in completing the forms as well as for following up. To learn more, see: Disability Insurance: Claims: How To Complete The Forms.