Tricks To Help Deal With Negative Thoughts
The American College of Physicians suggests the following tricks to help you control negative thoughts:« Previous Next »
- Break the cycle of negativity. For instance:
- Yell "Stop!" silently or out loud.
- Visualize a large stop sign.
- Slap yourself on the wrist
- Splash cold water on your face.
- Get up and move to another room.
- Set a time or place when it is okay to have negative thoughts.
- Set a time each day when you can have negative thoughts. If a pessimistic thought enters your mind any other time, tell yourself that you must save it for later or for tomorrow. (The concept is that you will hopefully forget it by then).
- Set one area, and only one area, as a place to think negative thoughts. Don't set the kitchen, bedroom or bathroom as the room.
- Practice techniques to clear your mind or to transport your thoughts somewhere else.
- For example, practice distraction, meditation, yoga, or guided imagery.
- Debate yourself.
- If you find yourself stuck in a negative view, take the opposite popsition.
Get Your Personal Guide