According to New York-Presbyterian Hospital, consider the folllowing tips to help deal with a sore throat:
- Tart, acidic, or salty beverages and foods such as: citrus fruit juices (grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime); pickled and vinegary foods (relishes and pickles); tomato-based foods (chili, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza); canned broth.
- Alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco.
- Strong spices, such as chili powder, cloves, curry, hot sauce, nutmeg, and peppers.
- Choose lukewarm or cool foods that are soothing. Very hot or very cold foods can cause dis tress.
- Season foods with herbs such as basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Choose soft, creamy foods, such as cream soups, cheeses, mashed potatoes, yogurt, eggs, custard, pudding, cooked cereals, ice cream, casseroles, gravies, syrups, milkshakes, and commercial liquid supplements.
- Blend and moisten foods that are dry or solid.Use in soups or with sauces, gravies, and in casseroles.
NOTE: This article should not be your only source of information on this health care topic. If your symptom persists, speak with your health care provider.