Should I Use A Broker, Agent, Financial Planner Or Other Professional To Help Me Buy Insurance?
More and more people are buying insurance directly from insurance companies, often online. While this can sometimes be cheapest and most efficient, you should not overlook the advantages of using a personal contact to buy insurance. A professional can help you choose the best coverage for you given the totality of your situation. Professionals can also be very valuable in the event of a loss.
Professionals to consider are:
- Independent insurance brokers ( professionals who work on your behalf but are paid by the insurance company)
- Insurance agents (professionals who work with and are paid by a particular insurance company)
- Financial planners
- Professional insurance consultants who can be hired for a fee. Professional insurance consultants are usually used by businesses instead of for personal insurance. They may provide advice about personal insurance as part of their advice to businesses.
We urge you to at least consult with an insurance broker or financial planner if:
- You are unsure what type(s) of insurance you need, if any.
- Your situation is complex.
- You ahve submitted one or more claims in the last three years.
For more information, see:
- Why Use An Independent Insurance Broker?
- Why Might I Use An Insurance Agent?
- Should I Use A Financial Planner To Help Me Buy Insurance?
For information about choose a broker, see: