Sample Timeline for Leaving Work
Sept. 13 -
- Review disability with doctor.
- Make sure medical records support disability.
- Ask doctor to write letter about medical condition and how it affects ability to work.
Week of Sept. 18 --
Get Summary Plan Description on all benefit plans:
- Health, Dental, Vision.
- Long Term Disability.
Review definition of "disability" in each policy and benefit. Review whether health condition is "disability" for purposes of Social Security Disability Income.
Sept. 22 -
Pick up letter from doctor.
Make appointment with employer representative for first week in October.
Sept. 23 -
Write letter to give to employer along with doctor's letter. [See sample at FMLA]
Sept. 25 -
Give Human Resources (HR) department my letter and doctor's letter.
Sept. 26 -
Get claim forms from HR
- Short Term Disability Claim Form
- State Disability Claim Form if your state has mandated short term disability insurance
- Long Term Disability Claim Form (tell HR: "I probably won't need it, but just in case….")
Ask for letter from employer confirming leave under Family and Medical Leave Act with exact date FMLA ends.
Sept. 28 --
Meet with employer's finance person to make arrangements to pay (or actually pay) my share of benefits premiums.
Sept. 30 -- Last Day of Work.
Confirm with HR how frequently I should be in contact and how.
Week of October 2 -
- Complete claim forms.
- Meet with doctor and provide claim forms for doctor to complete.
Pick up claim forms from doctor, copy them and mail by certified mail, return receipt requested or other means that provides proof of receipt.