My Document Inventory
By storing your documents correctly and keeping an inventory of the location of each document you'll be able to:
- Find things when they're needed.
- Identify missing documents so you can replace them now, while there's no time pressure.
- Allow someone else to access your papers if necessary and without delay.
Our chart is divided according to where we suggest you store your documents. In the space provided on the right, fill in where you actually put the document, or make a note if it is a document you need to obtain.
For valuable documents for the rest of your family:
- Include documents for minor children in your list.
- It is preferable for your spouse or significant other to create his/her own list.
You can print your chart, or you can save it on our secure site. If you save it, you can stop at any point and revisit the chart later.
To access the chart, click here.
- For help obtaining vital records, read "Where to Write for Vital Records" at www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm
- Please either give a copy of the completed chart to the person with your Durable Power of Attorney, if any, and to your Executor/Representative (the person or people who will be in charge of transferring your assets upon your demise) or let the person know where this list is stored, or give him/her a copy.