Mucositis is an opportunistic fungal infection can occur from the mouth to the anus. It shows up as thrush, white patches, or coldsores.
It is generally caused by chemotherapy containing fluorouracil. For example, 5FU, Capecitabine
- Magic™ mouthwash
- Anti-fungal prescription medicines
- Local anesthetics, analgesics.
Colon Cancer Alliance advises:
- Do not use hydrocortisone as it will exacerbate the mucositis.
- Do not assume that pain is a hemorrhoid. It could be thrush, and hemorrhoid cream will worsen the condition.
- Transient lactose intolerance may occur with mucositis.