How To Video Your Possessions For Insurance Purposes
A video of your possessions for insurance purposes doesn't have to be professionally done. You can walk around your home with a camera using the light you already have - as long as you can actually see the possessions.
An easy method to consider is to:
- Walk around each room clockwise, filming as you go.
- As you enter the room, describe the room in general, including its main purpose.
- At each item of value, stop and focus on the item while describing it. Include as much information as you recall such as when you acquired it, where, and how much was paid for it.
- If you have receipts, film the receipt at the same time as the item.
- At some point, include an image of a local newspaper and the date so there is proof of the day you made the record. There may also be a day/time stamp on your camera.
The original of the video or a digital copy should be stored off premises.