- Keep Your I.D. Card With You In Your Wallet Or Purse
- Stay On Top Of Insurance Company Reimbursements
- Keep Track Of Out-Of-Pocket Medical Expenses
- Avoid Paying Money In Excess Of Usual, Customary And Reasonable
- Be An Informed Consumer When Purchasing Drugs, Tests Or Treatments.
- Balance Premiums, Deductibles, Co-Insurance, Stop Loss, And Benefit
- Take Advantage Of Discounts And Wellness Features
- If You Smoke, Quit.
- If You Need An Unusual Off Label Or An Experimental Treatment
- How To Change An Insurance Company "No" To "Yes".
- How To Choose And Maximize Use Of Doctors
- If Your Plan Has Mental Health Benefits, Take Advantage Of Them
How To Maximize Use Of A Fee-For-Service (Indemnity) Health Insurance Policy
The following guidelines can help maximize use of a Fee-For-Service (Indemnity) type health insurance policy. Each of the guidlines are discussed in other sections of this article.« Previous Next »
- Keep your i.d. card with you in your wallet or purse.
- Stay on top of reimbursements.
- Keep track of your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- Avoid paying money in excess of Usual, Customary and Reasonable (UCR)
- Be an informed consumer when purchasing drugs, tests or treatments
- If you have a choice, balance premiums, deductibles, co-insurance, stop loss and benefits.
- Take advantage of wellness feature such as discounts for healthy living and coverage for complementary therapies.
- If you smoke, quit.
- If you need an off label treatment (a treatment not approved for the particular use) or a treatment which is considered to be experimental, work with your doctor to create an argument for coverage.
- Do not accept a "no" from the insurance company. Appeal, and keep appealing. Persistence pays off.
- Choose a primary care doctor and Specialists with care, and learn how to maximize limited time with them.
- If your plan has mental health benefits, take advantage of them.
Get Your Personal Guide