Evidence That Must Be Given To Social Security Before A Representative Payee Is Selected
To be appointed as Representative Payee, the applicant (prospective payee) must produce documentation of:
- His or her identity
- The relationship to the beneficiary;
- Concern and responsibility for the care of the beneficiary;
- The availability of other potential Representative Payees; and
- The payee applicant's Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number.
- If a payee applicant is court appointed, the guardian, trustee, committee, conservator, or other fiduciary must submit a certified copy of the letters or court order of appointment showing that the appointment is still in full force and effect.
NOTE: Any time after the selection of a Representative Payee, Social Security may request the payee to furnish information showing a continuing relationship to the beneficiary and a continuing responsibility for the care of the beneficiary.